Sunday, January 5, 2014

Stash Report 1 - 1/5/14

I have been reading the stash reports at Judy L's blog, Patchwork Times, for quite a while.  I found all sorts of reasons why I shouldn't participate.  I buy a lot of my fabric at estate sales, so I'd have to measure it all.  I even buy scraps,  how do you measure an ice cube bag of 1960's garment sewing scraps like I recently purchased. Do I count fabric that's not for quilting? How do you count as yards when you make those scraps into crumb or string blocks?  Finally decided to just do my best  guess, and use this report as more of a way to see what I have used, instead of worrying about how much comes in.  And it will also become a way of showing some of my bargains.  I like showing those off.

Today I finished a baby quilt for a coworker.  My quilting career contains a lot more starts than finishes.  This is the biggest project I have completed. 36" x 36" I learned a lot about piecing, quilting, binding, and measuring for your backing correctly.  The 4 patch blocks and binding are all from stash, I did buy the back piece, to go with the baby's safari animal nursery. 
Four patches, arranged by color

When you don't buy enough backing, you improvise



My personal rules for this report will be to only report fabric out when the project is complete.  Before that, it is still in my sewing room.  Hopefully this will inspire me to finish some of my works in progress. 

This week's report -

Fabric in this week:  0
 Fabric in Year to Date:  0

Fabric out this week: 3 yards
Fabric out year to date:  3 yards

Total change:  3 yards out

If you want to see more stash busting reports, go to Patchwork Times.

1 comment:

  1. Your quilts are adorable. I'm not a quilter, but my mom is and she is always arranging, rearranging and buying fabric. I'll have to tell her about your method for keeping it under control, lol.

    ReplyDelete