Sunday, January 12, 2014

Stash Report 2 - 1/12/14

As I started to write this,  I noticed my header seriously needs to be updated.  I think those clematis are from the summer of 2012.  If I showed a picture of my yard right now, it would feature half melted snow, dead leaves and mud.  But that's not what we are here to talk about.

Not much happened on the sewing front this week.  I am going to try to finish up some UFO's this year.  The first is binding a quilt for my sister, Nan.  My mother bought the top from a friend probably 10 years ago, and about 2 years ago I paid to have it quilted on a long arm.  Before Christmas I cut the binding strips from the excess backing.  This week I ironed them. Today I trimmed the edges of the quilt. Are you beginning to see why I don't have many finishes?  And since I neither purchased or sewed any of this, I won't be counting it as part of my stash busting.

I just mentioned that I want to finish up UFOs.  So this week I started a new project.  I know.  I want to use this as a leaders and enders project, but thought I'd better make a couple of blocks, to be sure I like them.  I'm going to make some Maverick Stars from Bonnie Hunter at Quiltville.  Here are the two I have completed.

 I am making light stars on dark backgrounds, as I have a lot fewer light than dark scraps.  My squares will be cut 2 1/2", so will take about 25 blocks to use a yard of fabric.  If my math is correct.  I think.  I won't even try to count the little scraps I will be using to make the star points.  I did cut both light and dark squares for this project this week. 

My scraps are organized (ha) by my own system.  Bonnie Hunter has a thorough description of her organization system on her blog.  I did not want to cut up fabric without knowing what it was going to be used for.  So, I came up with three scrap quilts I wanted to make, and sorted and cut fabric with those projects in mind.  Anything larger than a fat quarter is stored in a drawer or shelf in my sewing room.  Smaller pieces were cut, when possible, into 2 1/2" x 16" strips, for a future Scrappy Bargello quilt (also from Bonnie Hunter).  I need 128 strips and I have over 80 cut.  Smaller pieces are sorted into a string quilt box and a crumb quilt box.  I made a string quilt top last summer (also on the UFO list) and have made some crumb blocks.  I went back through these boxes this week and pulled what I can use for the Maverick Stars, my fourth ongoing scrap quilt. 

Now my scraps will be sorted into Bargello, Strings, Crumbs and Maverick Stars. 

I got a email coupon from my favorite fabric store this week.  From reading other blogs, I know that coupons can get us in trouble.  However, this was for only one piece of fabric, so I couldn't go too crazy.  I ended up buying a half yard of  this -
which I plan to use to bind the Maverick stars, in some far off someday.  Been wanting to do a striped binding.

It has taken me half of forever to get to the point of this blog, my stash report.  I'm sorry, I cannot tell a short story. 

Fabric in this week:  .5 yards
Fabric in Year to Date:  .5 yards
Fabric out this week: 0 yards
Fabric out year to date:  3 yards

Total change:  2.5 yards out

If you want to read other (mostly shorter) stash reports, check out Patchwork Times.

If you're still with me, here is my favorite find from the 3 estate sales I went to this weekend.
I plan to use it to bring in veggies from my little garden this summer.

Hope you all have a great week.  Happy Sewing.    

No comments:

Post a Comment