Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Cornish Pasties

I tried a new recipe today.  We had Cornish Pasties for dinner.  If you are interested, you can find the recipe here.  It was a bit of a challenge.  First, I had to translate the weights and measures from metric.  And figure out that a swede is a rutabaga.  Went to the grocery store, which doesn't regularly carry skirt steak.  With two weeks notice they can get it for me.  So, being the true American cook that I am, I substituted hamburger.  I did buy ground chuck though.  Then got home and didn't have enough flour.  So, really being an American cook, I used part Bisquick (baking mix) and threw in a little whole wheat flour too.  The dough in the food processor didn't work too well, so just finished kneading it on the counter.  For those of you who don't know me, I'm much more of an Erma Bombeck than a Martha Stewart, and I think this story proves that.  Despite all the tribulations, they turned out pretty well.  I might make them again, but will tweak them some.  Needed some garlic, or curry, or something.  The coal miners in Cornwall might not recognize them, but none of them were here for dinner tonight.  Oh, and I did listen to Beatles music while I was cooking, I'm sure that made them more authentic.

I did get the apron cut out today, but still needs to be sewn. 

Cindi

No comments:

Post a Comment